Tuesday, March 12, 2024

The Lover (Week 9)

I'm at a bit of a loss on what to write about this week. I didn't particularly enjoy this novel very much, if I'm being honest it's probably one of my least favourite reads of the term so far. I found it a bit confusing, I didn't really get the point behind jumping from first to third person, and the overall theme of it bothered me a little. I think some things can have nuance in them, but underage child sexual exploitation should always be read as the exploitation that it is. In the lecture, there was a bit of back and forth about how her lover was almost the vulnerable, childlike one where it was to the point of who was using who, but at the end of the day, I still think she is a child and he is an adult. In addition, the social and racial components within the novel made it even more uncomfortable for me. Don't get me wrong, I think it's important to write about issues of exploitation as these things do actually happen, however, I think they should be written about from the perspective that it is wrong. Around halfway through the book when "the lover" and her family meet I also had issues as she doesn't speak a word to him in her family's presence, and then he essentially ignores her. While this part is written in the first person, I didn't see the point in including her family's complacency in this love affair in the presence of her lover. Nevertheless, it is interesting how her mother is silent when in the presence of her lover, but yells, hits, and shames her over it in the privacy of their home.

I think this just speaks to another level of exploitation shown through poverty and class. What Jon mentioned in the lecture about how this book has changed over time with the original character of the lover being white is also a fascinating point expanding on this. It made me think about the factor that race plays in this dynamic of whether or not the exploitation was perceived as wrong (again, I still think it is, but for the sake of this class, I'll entertain the argument). At the end of the day, race does definitely play a factor, but this novel was more nuanced as ultimately the lover was still in a financial position of power and she was not, not to mention the role that age plays in this as well. In the lecture, Jon says that both have power over each other, but again I'd have to disagree. At the end of the day, she is still a lot younger and poorer than he is. She was in a more vulnerable position and he abused that. 

Question for the class: How would your opinion of this novel have changed if her lover had remained white as in a former version of the text? Do you think if her lover was a different race the power dynamic would have come across differently?


3 comments:

  1. Julia, sorry to hear its amongst your least favourites although I understand why! Glad to see you heard the lecture! It is perfectly okkay to disagree and I think the book provides good evidence for the reading you give. For instance, both characters mention or refer to the illegality of what they are doing and reflect on the “wrongness” of it. The fact that there are many direct referenced to the girl as child and conversation around her innocence might point to that as well.

    Thanks for your comment!
    - Tesi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey name twin! I think race is a significant aspect towards the power dynamic in the story. If her lover was a different race I think it could alter the power dynamic. I think it would shift certain aspects of the dynamic, but the themes of exploitation and inequality would still be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julia, I totally agree with you about sexual exploitation. Even in the book, it is mentioned that the man was afraid of being exposed. He knew what he was doing and knew that such behavior would land him in jail, yet he remained irresponsible. Even, in a way, he is taking advantage of the innocent love of a young girl.

    ReplyDelete

Conclusions! (Week 13)

I can't believe this semester is (almost) over! I had such a great time reading and chatting about these books with everyone. I've n...